Monday, March 13, 2006

A bad day for tyrants

For those of you who knew him and knew of him, my prized goldfish and longtime companion, Saddam Hussein, has sadly passed. My parents told me the news. He's never been apart from me for so long, and perhaps he missed me. I don't know. All I know is that he had a mild infection again, and this time, he just gave up. May he rest in peace. My father wants to bury him under the garden gnome.

For those of you who didn't know him, I named my goldfish Saddam Hussein as a joke, thinking that he was going to die overnight. He didn't, and instead, he helped me finish my thesis, he graduated with me, he made the long trip down from Boston, he lived in Arlington, and then finally ended up in suburban Fairfax, VA. I bought him almost exactly 3 years ago for 10 cents from Petsmart.

It's funny how attached you can become to a little fish.

So no, this isn't a post about Rwanda, but it's the first time I've felt truly homesick.

I called this post "a bad day for tyrants" because of my dear companion, but also because Milosevic was found dead in his cell yesterday (he left a note saying he was poisoned, but I think it was suicide) and there was an assassination attempt on Robert Mugabe.

And perhaps it was just a coincidence that the real Saddam Hussein's trial resumed on the day that my fish passed.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP Saddam. We'll all miss you, good little buddy.

3/13/2006 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MC - am heading back to Washington for a few days. Won't be the same dropping into 5th floor ISP and not seeing you there. Keep doing what you're doing... and PS your dad should bury the fish in a spider hole.

3/13/2006 7:06 PM  
Blogger Raff said...

You should adopt a local pet...

3/14/2006 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, what a sad post, i'm sorry to hear that. i had fish for a long time, and when they passed, i was upset too. i still think about them, is that strange? :)

i agree with raff!

3/14/2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger Morgan C. said...

I want to adopt a lizard but i can't seem to catch one of those fast little buggers....

Thanks for the condolences.

3/16/2006 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about saddam, morgs. I remember the day you got him at swells.

3/22/2006 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home