Sunday, March 16, 2008

"Homosexuality in Rwanda? Yes, it lives"

That's the title of an article in the NewTimes this week. Thought you all may enjoy a couple of excerpts that I found pretty hilarious.

"It is true that homosexual culture is not Rwandan and is therefore susceptible
to challenges. Rwanda has not spoken much about homosexuality, but certainly it
is against the practice. If homosexuality is not African then it cannot
certainly be Rwandan!

It is against this background that a mini survey was done to know if there are gays in Rwanda or not. [...]Like any other form of prostitution, it is denied, and practiced indoors--a thing that has made it remain in obscurity.

There is a community of gays in Rwanda, even though one will be hard put to produce evidence to clearly prove it. One gentleman, who did not want to be mentioned, caused laughter in public when he complained thus: 'I was surprised when a man of my age approached me to be his boy friend. He was serious and promised to offer me some good money. This is horrible! Suppose I was a young man with problems of money; the amount he offered would have really seduced me into the nasty demands of the son of devil.'

[...]

It takes a lot to recognise a gay person; but sometimes young men go around with
treated hair, tinted, walking like a woman, or forcing the voice to soften like
that of a woman and speaking with abnormal gestures, etc. They cannot go out in
the open and shout it out because they would be ridiculed.

[...]

There are in fact very many reasons that call us to worry about homosexuality. These reasons go beyond the fact that homosexuality goes against the Rwandan cultural norms and morals. Homosexuality is harmful for society since it does not engender reproduction, thus threatens the survival of society. It poses a great threat to children, and leads to depressing and miserable lifestyles. Generally, homosexuals are obsessed with a sexual lifestyle that is unnatural, and so the society should stand warned well in advance."

9 Comments:

Blogger gayuganda said...

Yeah,

same old, same old. At least now they do admit that we exist.

I mean, once upon a time, there were no gay Ugandans also. But if you want to meet gay Rwandese, pop into Uganda. Seems as if gay Rwandese do love gay Ugandans. Dunno why...

gug

3/23/2008 5:07 AM  
Blogger Morgan C. said...

I just think it's funny b/c I had a conversation with a Rwandese colleague who said there were no gay people in Rwanda.

I told him that, 20 years ago, there were no gay people in the U.S., either, and now they make up an estimated 10 percent of the population.

3/25/2008 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Morgan! I've just accepted a job to work in Rwanda for roughly a year beginning in Sept. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the country before I arrive...when you get a chance please drop me an e-mail: maguirejwatson@gmail.com

Jeff

5/17/2008 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live. Since I was born, I had never had contact with someone from the West or a gay person. But it turns out that I am gay. The problem is that our cultures didn't define homosexuality or condemned it. I can not come out, that would be tragic, now that everybody realized that many people are "becoming" gay.

7/11/2009 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a very strange thing here, i agree. i was surprised at how extremely heterosexual the society tries to be here. Gays are nowhere to be seen. Being gay myself i took it quite hard. But hey, people in Eastern and Central Europe also try to negate our existence :)

2/01/2010 8:37 AM  
Blogger cacao said...

I'm Rwandan. I'm gay, naturally gay. It's not a learned behavior. Stop being foolish!
cacao2004@hotmail.com

9/09/2010 11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hei you all,

since you haven't learned Rwandese history; let me tell you something that might chock you.
Gay has existed in Rwanda since very long time'in times of kings'. however this is not/has never been a public subject. if you would ask Rwandese elders 'the honest once' they will explain very well how long gay community has been part of Rwandese culture.

1/19/2012 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

golden goose
palm angels tracksuit
kevin durant shoes
off white t shirt
paul george shoes
goyard store
supreme clothing
yeezy 350
golden goose outlet
moncler outlet

10/02/2022 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Adam Holmes said...

Great blog, I enjoyed reading it

10/20/2023 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home